red when excited

iExpression Mac Status Update

Monday, July 23, 2012

We just wanted to give you a quick update on the iExpression Mac application status. After letting the App sit in the “In Review” status for over a week, we chose to Reject the binary ourselves and re-submit. We have been in this situation before, and this proved to be the right thing to do. 


This has however allowed us to add some additional features that weren’t ready before we submitted the last version. Perhaps most importantly it has allowed us to re-introduce ExpressionEngine 1.X support by using the standard (shipped with EE) Metaweblog interface. 

Interestingly we had actually supported Metaweblog before with the initial release of the iOS application. At that point when we added our own module and support for that to the iOS we had eventually retired the Metaweblog interface as at that point, we had to maintain almost two completely seperate UI’s in order to support both. Not great for users or us!
Things are a little different this time around. We’ve mentioned before we’ve completely re-written the engine that integrates with ExpressionEngine. As part of that we made it possible for us to support other interfaces transparently to the UI (and therefore largely the UX apart from restrictions on the interface itself). As soon as we had shipped the previous release to the Mac App store for review, we started work on this next feature for both the iOS and Mac client. As a testomony to Alan’s hard work, this took less than a day to implement, and then enjoyed 6 days of testing. 


Selecting desired integration method in iExpression Mac

Interestingly we are able to support multiple different integration methodologies from any given protocol. This creates the oppertunity for us to potentially leverage other modules (perhaps not provided by us) to give more to our users if they have those modules. We are at the early stages of exploring this capability, but we are already exploring some interesting oppertunities. 

Obviously all of this means we could end up missing our self-imposed release date of “with Mountain Lion”… we hope that we race through the review process, but also have to recognise Apple’s review teams are probably quite busy right now! Again, we think it’s a net win for users to have the ability to do this and in the long run we made the right decision. 

[Update] Well it’s clear now we haven’t made it. We’ll keep you updated as the review process continues

Please wait...